Friday, April 24, 2009

Writing my first paper...

Hi mates! The following text is what I have written for my paper up to now. I will really appreciate your comments on it!



“The Picture of Dorian Gray” & immortality.

Introduction:

Since the human being discovered his mortality, he has been trying to be immortal. The condition of being exempt from death or destruction has been subject of study of different spheres; from religion and philosophy to science “the concept of living in a physical or spiritual form for an infinite or inconceivably vast length of time”* is a phenomenon which is still not known for certain to be achievable.


Thesis:

As many other issues that have been subject of fascination to mankind, immortality has been present in literature, and "The Picture of Dorian Gray" can certainly be considered an example (of it?). In this Oscar Wilde's novel, concepts of immortality and death are tied to concepts of aesthetics.
The purpose of this paper is to analyse the two-sided answer to the querie on immortality provided in “The Picture of Dorian Gray”


Conclusion:

...different manners in which immortality is fostered throughout "The Picture of Dorian Gray”. Both Dorian Gray and Basil Hallward try to achieve immortality through the portrait, though in not the same way; Dorian (wants) it to be the recipient of his own ageing and, therefore, he could live eternally, while Basil, as any other artist, considers artwork as the means of living forever.






2 comments:

  1. Hey...
    I love your writing!

    I really want to read your paper!
    Go on working, please!


    As regards grammar, vocabulary or patterns...I have 2 doubts:

    1) [...]an example (of it?)[...]
    Yeah...I think you have to write 'of it' too.


    2) [...] though in not the same way [...]
    or: though not in the same way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jan!!!

    You always help me with your critics!

    I will take your comments into account...

    Please, go on reading and commenting! I need you (as my subnick always expresses!)

    Hugs & kisses

    Bele

    ReplyDelete