Sunday, May 3, 2009

Boule de Suif: my interpretation...

This short-story written by French author Guy de Maupassant is set in the Franco-Prussian War and is about the trip of ten French civilians leaving Rouen (recently occupied by the Prussians) and fleeing to Le Havre in a coach.
From my point of view, the story has several themes, some of them clearly stated and some others less noticeable, but all of them equally important and controversial. I might say that patriotism, social classes and religion are the ones that called my attention in first place. But then, as I went on reading, I found morality an interesting issue. Boule de Suif, whose birth name is Mademoiselle Élisabeth Rousset, is an attractive and desirable courtesan and an immoral woman in the eyes of her apparently respectable travel companions. In spite of the fact that her work on bringing pleasure to men may be seen as sinful, she is actually the only one in the coach who truly possess a code of ethics. I think this is clearly shown when she refuses to sleep with the Prussian Commandant, since sleeping with the enemy would mean breaking the set of rules that she holds with much conviction. Finally, and after being manipulated by the other passengers, she do commit what she considers an immoral act in order to free herself and her companions. Once again, here it appears the respectable passengers’s lack of moral values who not only do not thank her for her act but also show her great disrespect.
As a conclusion, I think we should all try not to prejudge since not everything is what it seems to be.


Bibliography:

http://www.sgcfrench.co.uk/Notes%20on%20Contes%20de%20la%20Guerre2007.htm


My "Painterpretation":



2 comments: